#GivingTuesday is right around the corner!
For those unfamiliar with the day, #GivingTuesday was created as a philanthropic alternative to Black Friday and Cyber Monday – a global day to celebrate generosity and to give. This year’s #GivingTuesday will take place on December 2nd.
If you have not started planning, now is the time to start! The key to success is to start building an online buzz now and utilize the resources on the #GivingTuesday and #MarylandGivesMore websites to develop an effective online presence. You can download a free e-book “Guide to a Successful Giving Day” here.
New this year is the #MarylandGivesMore initiative. Convened by Maryland Nonprofits and a committed group of partners, #MarylandGivesMore is the most ambitious state-wide #GivingTuesday campaign in the country. #MarylandGivesMore is an expansion of the wildly successful #BmoreGivesMore campaign, which raised $5.7 million for the city of Baltimore on #GivingTuesday in 2013.
The #MarylandGivesMore campaign has set a goal of raising $12.2 million on #GivingTuesday. This is roughly equivalent to every Marylander donating $2. For more information on ways to get involved with #MarylandGivesMore, contact Allison Albert, Membership/Marketing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443.438.2346.
NGO Participation Ideas:
- Use the #MarylandGivesMore goal and #GivingTuesday as a new way to communicate with donors and kick off your year-end giving campaign.
- Promote your current projects on #GivingTuesday: Sign up to be a Partner on the #MarylandGivesMore website and report in dollars raised on December 2nd.
- Organizations have the option to launch new projects to capitalize on the enthusiasm and online traffic on the #MarylandGivesMore Crowdrise page.
- Volunteer hours are also eligible – they will be monetized and counted toward the goal.
- Announce your participation to your community on Facebook and Twitter (@MDGivesMore).
Foundation Participation Ideas:
- Lend your stature and leadership to the effort, join the #MarylandGivesMore campaign by signing up to be a Partner on the #MarylandGivesMore website and reporting in donations on 12.2.14.
- Announce your year-end grants on 12.2.14, #GivingTuesday, to contribute to the statewide goal.
- Invite your grantees to participate
- Spread the word about the #MarylandGivesMore initiative, and your involvement or support, via traditional and social marketing (find us on Facebook and Twitter @MDGivesMore).
- To encourage generosity in donations on #GivingTuesday, provide matching fund grants to the overall #MarylandGivesMore campaign. Contact Heather Iliff, Vice President, at email@example.com or 443.438.2348.
- Support your grantees directly with matching grants on #GivingTuesday.
I encourage everyone to participate and bring this global day of giving to their local membership. Happy Fundraising!